Libby’s pumpkin bread recipe combines fall spices with pumpkin puree to create a delicious bread that will warm your heart and fill your kitchen with the luxurious scents of fall.
Serves: 12 Time: 1 hour 20 minutes Cookbook: Libby's Online
As soon as the first leaf drops, we start looking for pumpkins in the grocery store. And as soon as we see them, we know fall has officially arrived. What better way to ring in the fall season with the best it has to offer: pumpkin bread!
Libby’s has been around since 1869, and from the get-go they’ve been the leader in producing quality canned goods and excellent recipes. Today’s pumpkin bread recipe has been printed on the back of their pumpkin cans for time immemorial and for a good reason! Fans of pumpkin love the classic, simple, easy, delicious bread!
Today, we present the classic pumpkin quick bread first created by Libby. We simplified it even more and turned it into a one-bowl project, making cleanup a breeze. Let’s get to it!
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 🎃 Ingredients Needed to Make Libby’s Pumpkin Bread
- 🍴 Equipment You’ll Need in the Kitchen
- 🥄 How to Make Libby’s Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- ♾️ Variations on Libby’s Pumpkin Bread
- ❓ Libby’s Pumpkin Bread Recipe Tips, Tricks, and FAQs
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Easy: This is such an easy pumpkin bread recipe. It comes together in just minutes with just a little bit of whisking and elbow grease. If you have children that like to help you cook and bake in the kitchen, this recipe is a perfect one to have them help you out with.
Delish: This is such a yummy pumpkin bread! The flavors are perfectly balanced and filled with delicious pumpkin and fall flavors. It’s moist, dense, and just might disappear faster than you can slice it up. It might just become your favorite recipe.
Crowd-Favorite: Everyone we give this bread to loves it and inevitably asks for the recipe. Libby’s made a crowd pleaser with this recipe and we know your friends and family will love it.
Ingredients Needed to Make Libby’s Pumpkin Bread
- All Purpose Flour: All purpose flour will provide the best results for this recipe. If you’d like to add whole wheat, we suggest a 50% ratio, whole wheat and white flour.
- Granulated Sugar: Ganulated white sugar or cane sugar work well for this recipe. Cane sugar will give it a slight brown sugar flavor.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder will make the bread lighter and less dense.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda will help add texture and help the bread to rise.
- Ground Nutmeg: This delicious and fragrant spice adds a depth to the bread you can’t get otherwise. It also makes the flavor of the pumpkin a bit richer.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Pumpkin pie spice is just a mix of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and all spice. Add fourtablespoons of cinnamon, half as much of ginger, and cloves, and a quarter as much of nutmeg and all spice to make your own version of this mix.
- Salt: Kosher salt is best for this recipe.
- Eggs: This recipe calls for large eggs.
- Vegetable Oil: A flavorless vegetable oil like grapeseed oil is perfect.
- Pure Pumpkin Puree: You don’t want canned “pumpkin pie filling.” Make sure the can says 100% pure pumpkin puree.
Equipment Needed In the Kitchen
- 10-Inch Loaf Pan: A 9 or 10-inch pan will work best for this recipe. If you want multiple mini loaves, you can use 4-inch loaf pans or 5-inch loaf pans, instead. With this recipe, you’ll get one large loaf or two mini loaves of classic pumpkin bread. For two large loaves, you’ll want to double the recipe.
- Large Bowl: You’ll only need one large mixing bowl for this recipe. All the ingredients get mixed together in the same bowl. If using a hand mixer, you’ll want a large mixer bowl to prevent the batter from splattering outside.
- Wire Rack: A wire rack is perfect for placing the baked loaf on to cool down when it comes out of the oven.
How to Make Libby’s Pumpkin Bread Recipe
This is one of the easiest and best pumpkin bread recipes ever. You’ll go from mixing to enjoying hot, steaming pumpkin bread in just around an hour.
First things first! Preheat a 350-degree F oven.
Next, grab your loaf pan and a bit of vegetable oil or cooking spray, and coat the pan to prevent sticking.
Make the batter
Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices in a bowl. Mix dry ingredients together until the flour mixture is thoroughly combined.
Next, the wet ingredients. Combine pumpkin, eggs, and oil in the bowl.
Mix with a whisk until the pumpkin mixture is thoroughly combined.
Pour batter into a greased or oiled loaf pan.
Bake for 50 minutes in your preheated oven or until bread is cooked through and the toothpick test comes out clean.
Toothpick test: Take a toothpick, stick it into the middle and pull it back out. If it’s clean, the bread is done. If batter clings to it, the bread needs to keep baking.
Cool completely at room temperature on a wire rack before serving.
Variations on Libby’s Pumpkin Bread
This is such a delicious bread recipe, and it lends itself perfectly to playing around with variations. Here are a few of our favorites.
Nut-Topped: Add chopped walnuts to the top of the loaf just before baking for a little extra crunch.
Chocolate Drizzle Topped: Melt your favorite chocolate (dark, milk, or white) and drizzle it across the top of the bread when baked and cooled. Allow the chocolate to harden prior to serving.
Cream Cheese Pumpkin Bread: Looking for different recipes that still revolve around pumpkin bread? Cream cheese pumpkin bread is similar to this recipe but features a rich cream cheese swirl in the middle of the bread.
Paula Deen’s Pumpkin Bars: This recipe turns out a beautiful pumpkin cake with a heavenly cream cheese frosting that’s to die for.
Libby’s Pumpkin Bread Recipe Tips, Tricks, and FAQs
Place the bread loaf in an air-tight ziplock and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. It can also be frozen for several months in a freezer bag with all the air pressed out.
This bread will last for up to 1 week in the fridge. Just make sure it’s wrapped up well in beeswax wrap, a ziplock bag, or an air-tight container so it doesn’t dry out.
You can easily make this by combining 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and a 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice. These are the spices that the pumpkin pie spice blend is made with. This will make almost 8 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
When fully cool, wrap the loaf in parchment paper and tie with twine or ribbon. Add a tag for a label. This is a great way to meet new neighbors!